Posts Tagged ‘Zucchini’
As summer is coming to an end, summer squash is still growing quite rapidly. Farmers are practically giving their squash, especially zucchini, away for free. For the past month I have been buying a few pounds of squash at a time because I just couldn’t pass up the price.
Why should you take advantage of all this zucchini on hand? Zucchini is very water dense, making it a hydrating food for summer. It is an excellent food to fill you up without filling your calorie quota; about 3.5 ounces of zucchini is just 14 calories. Zucchini also provides decent amounts of vitamin C, potassium, and carotenes. A tasty, low calorie, low cost vegetable that keeps you hydrated and protects you from the harmful effects of the sun? What’s not to love?!
After a few weeks of roasting, steaming and sautéing my zucchini, I began to seek alternative ways prepare my zucchini to keep it interesting. After a handful of experiments, I finally came up with a delicious and savory zucchini pancake recipe to enjoy as a side for dinner:
1 large zucchini
4 baby carrots
½ medium red onion
¼ cup Gluten Free Pancake Mix (I use Bob’s Red Mill mix)
¼ tsp. Garlic Powder
Dash of sea salt
Dash of pepper
1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
¼ cup Organic Plain Greek Yogurt
- Throw zucchini, carrots, onion into a food processor and pulse until chopped well
- Using cheese cloth or paper towel gently squeeze out excess moisture from zucchini mixture
- Add to bowl and mix in pancake mix, egg, and seasonings until mixture is well stirred and in batter consistency
- Melt coconut oil in pan on medium heat
- Pour batter into medium sized pancakes
- Flip after 4 minutes or when nicely browned
- Once browned on both sides remove and put on plates
- Drizzle Greek Yogurt over pancakes to bring out the flavor
Makes 4-6 medium pancakes
Tip: If you prefer having a crispier zucchini patty rather than a soft pancake, swap out the gluten free pancake mix for gluten free all purpose flour or try oat flour for a nice taste.
If you’re looking for other ways to use your zucchini, here are a few additional recipes to try: